Monday, July 30, 2007

Olesya Boreyko: Thoughts on Culture

It's less than a week left for me here. So strange, I'm praying to value each moment. Yesterday Chelsey left - the other intern. I went to her good bye party. So sad to say good bye, and, though sometimes I really miss my comfort and communication I have in Kaliningrad with my family or in LCC with my friends, I know that this experience is changing my life forever. God is opening doors of new opportunities for me. He is showing me what He sees and feels while looking on these people and their struggles. And one cannot be ignorant once he or she saw Africa through the eyes of God. My life is a tool which God will use how He wants. And He wants to do so much for these people!

You know, I see my life now not like a combination of random events, but a goal-centered logical path where everything happens for a reason. My life is planned ahead for me by God. And it's not like I don't have a free will, but rather free to obey Him and come into complete satisfaction and happiness, or search for something till the rest of my life in the pursuit of things which don't matter in the long run. So, I am open to obey God, and do the work He planned for me. You know, we can do incredible things! We can change the world and give the glory to God!

Yes, I'm leaving in a week, but I'm taking Africa with me in my heart. And though I really enjoyed seeing animals on the safari, Africa is not about them. Like I've already said, Africa is people. I've been thinking a lot about our differences and simularities lately. Yes, I am and I will always remain a mzungu (white person). I guess i know how black guys feel back at LCC in Lithuania when everybody stares at them. Yes, people stare, and point fingers screaming mzungu sometimes. But there is more to it. I've heard a saying - God is colorblind. I wish we ourselves would forget about our colors and expectation of the society and community, but look on ourselves theough the eyes of God 'cause we are created according to His image.

There are many cultural issues I've been observing during my time here, one being how women are treated. It is astonishing. Yes, culture is on the first place in the lives of Kenyans. And to change their lives one would need to change his/her approach toward Kenyan culture. I could speak hours about that 'cause it's in my heart right now. But for us, I just wish we would not be ignorant of the world around us for now. It's a first step in a change that will take lifetime.

No comments: