Wednesday, July 11, 2007

Olesya Boreyko: Karibu - Welcome Home!

Karibu is welcome in Swahili. And indeed, the welcome K received here was the most warm, loving and amazing welcome I've ever received in my life. I've arrived in Kenya on Monday, and it's been a blessing for me since. Today is Friday - my day off, so i have an opportunity to go to the town and use Internet cafe.

I cannot describe all the emotions I have from the last several days. I feel like I'm watching a movie with me in it because it's still so surreal and unbelievable that I'm here in Africa working as an intern in Ilula children's home with 50 boys and girls.

I've arrived safely to Nairobi, though it was a hard trip with three plane rides and one car ride of seven hours. In total, I traveled for almost two days, and when I finally came to Eldoret, I was exhausted, but happy that I'm here at last.

The most amazing thing was the greeting I received in Ilula. When I came there in the evening, I was greeted by 100 children and staff of this home. They were lined up singing songs and greeting me. I went from child to child, shaking their hands and hearing over and over again - Welcome home! That was so surreal, it almost made me cry because I was so overwhelmed. Africa, as one of me friends here said, is not animals - it's people. And that is true indeed. People I've met here are the most friendly, warm and loving people I've ever seen. They welcomed me to their family from the first day. Every child is been a great blessing for me, and the house parents are the huge encouragement and example of faith and love and strength.

I pray that i would do everything God wants me to do here, and I would serve as a channel of His blessings for these people. So far, I have been the one who has received love and care, and who has learnt a great deal from these incredible people.

No comments: