Monday, July 23, 2007

Chelsea Bentley: The End of the Beginning

It is so hard to believe that I only have two days left here in Ilula. I had to start saying my goodbyes Sunday in church, and my brief goodbye at the end of staff devotions today had me holding back tears. I am going to miss this place so much. It has absolutely become like a second home to me, and the people here have become my family. Though I am very much looking forward to seeing all my family and friends back home, I can't even imagine what life is going to be like without 50 smiling little Kenyan faces and hugs every morning and every night. And what will it be like to have something besides ugali almost every night for supper? I think I may actually miss ugali, and I know that I will miss drinking chai all the time!

The past week has been really wonderful. I have spent a lot of time just enjoying the company of my kids, and I have learned a lot from them. It is hard to believe that I have only known them for six weeks. The days of feeling like a complete stranger here are long gone - these children are my brothers and sisters now, and I absolutely love them, their parents and all of the staff here. I love laughing with them. I love dancing and singing with them. I love praying with them. I love talking with them. I love serving them. I love serving God with them. I love them!

God has taught me so much in the past six weeks, and above everything else, I think this journey has really cemented the desire and drive in my heart to spread the gospel and bring the hope of Jesus to those who have lost all hope in this life. I don't know exactly what shape this calling is going to take or where the path is going to lead me, but I know these six weeks were only the beginning of a lifetime of international cross-cultural ministry. I praise God for the beauty and the diversity that he has created all over this earth. While on safari this weekend, I was able to really see some of that beauty in nature, and I have seen even more of it every day in the hearts and the faces of the people of Kenya.


God has been so good to me, and I cannot praise him enough for the blessings I have received from him during my time in Kenya. I pray that he will continue to use me and mold me as I return to my "comfort zone" with a completely transformed outlook on the world around me. Bwana asifiwe!

No comments: