Wednesday, July 23, 2008

Scophia: The day we went to Kipchoge Keino Stadium


It was on a Thursday evening and we had prepared the school team and they were practicing hard. They knew that practice makes perfect. We had prepared ourselves because on Friday we would face tough competition.

On Friday morning, I was so excited because I was among the team traveling to Kipchoge for athletics. I woke earlier that usual, took a shower and wore my best uniform. After taking my breakfast, I walked to school. At the assembly we prayed for those going to Kipchoge that they may have a safe journey and that they may participate well.

We reached the stadium faster that I expected. We went round the field where we were going to run. There were so many students from various schools who had come for games. After sometime, we were all assembled at the field to be told what to do. There were many big boys and I was so scared of them I thought if you could step on them by mistake, they would beat you seriously.

My team was the first to run and so children representing all the zonal school lined up to run. We ran as fast as we could but the race was tough. During the short races, one of the runners was disqualified as he was a trained runner.

Rose Jepchirchir was participating in walking race. She was in first position all through until when she heard the bell. Rose did not understand that she had one more round to go so she stopped and the two students behind her overtook her. She never gave up but continued and she became position three. Joyce Jerotich also managed to be among those who were to continue to the District level in the long races. We were given glucose then we ate lunch and came back to school happily.

I thank God for enabling us to participate in games. I am praying that next year we are going to get to the national level in athletics and make our school famous in the country.

No comments: