Monday, July 21, 2008

Hillary's thoughts on sports and speeches

On 23rd of May, our school was going to compete with other schools in Eldoret [in athletics]. We did not have enough time to practice, and we had not even competed against any other schools.

We went right to the stadium (Kipchoge Keino Stadium), participated, and waited for the results. Some of the sports we participated in were in 3000m, 8000m, high jump, long jump, walking race and javelin.

When the results were out, some of our students were able to proceed to the district level and the others did not, but we never gave up.

Came the drama festivals, we were ready to participate in it again. We had composed and recited many poems both solo verses and group verses. I was presenting public speaking in umuhimu wa Amani (The importance of peace) and another one on HIV/AIDS.

We performed at the zonal and when the results were out some of the children were to proceed to the district level. Our school which was a little known became famous and by now it could be known in the whole province.

Thank God I was able to make it to the provincial level at Kericho with my sister Fridah. We came back to school and polished where necessary. The public speaking topic that I managed to present in Kericho was the one on HIV/AIDS.

We traveled to Kericho and met many schools with children in different uniforms. When it was my time to go to the stage to perform, I stood in front of the adjudicators and I was really shivering but before my presentation, I prayed twice to God to give me the courage to do well. I tried my best and when the results were out, I was position 10 overall.

I thank God for that and for the far he had brought me. I never gave up and I hope next year I am going to proceed further to the national level. I know that it was just a trial as it was my first time and I took the first positions in the zonal and district level.

I am expecting even better results next year!

No comments: