Monday, May 14, 2007

Ilula Intern: Karibu Nikole -Welcome Home!

It is so wonderful to be back in Ilula. Since I was last in Ilula in December 2005 my relationship with the Lord has deepened immensely. I now know what it is like to live every moment with God. That was a concept that the Kenyans had taught during my first trip and over the last year and a half I have worked hard figuring out how to live every moment with God in the western world. So I was excited when God led me back to the place where he first truly taught me what it is like to be with him all the time.

As I approached Ilula, the children were all lined up and singing their welcome song. At first I was a bit nervous that they didn’t remember me because they were so shy. However, after the numerous speeches and prayers, they all came running to me. “Nikole, do you remember my name? Do you remember when we played kickball? Remember when I chased you with grasshopper?” – They were delighted when I could answer their questions.

I sank right back into the life here. Getting up early to serve chai, peeling potatoes for lunch, napping in the afternoon, and devotions at night. Devotions are some of my favourite times: I call it "goosebump time." It is the most moving experience to have fifty African children singing at the top of their lungs in a small gazebo where the sound just echoes. I get goosebumps every time. The children can repeat memory verses by the dozen. They have the most amazing memories. Something that I strive to acquire.

God has given me a heart for the older girls. I see so much beauty in them. It’s an inner beauty that can only be achieved by God. His light just shines through them and I continue to pray that they grow up to be mighty women of God and the best they can be in Christ. I am excited to see what God has planned for their lives.

It is a known fact that white people don’t have nearly as much rhythm as Africans. Even if we are clapping on the beat, it still looks funny compared to the Africans. One night I was in one of the girls room and they were mimicking the way white people worship. It was hilarious because they hit it right on. They began to sing their own worship songs, singing and dancing all around the room. All of a sudden, one of the girls burst into tears. The Holy Spirit, in that moment, had touched her. It went from mimicking wazungu to actual worship. Thank you Lord for showing this girl how real you are and touching her heart in that moment. I walked home crying because I felt so blessed.

My journey has barely begun and I have already learned a lot about the Kenyan culture. I am thankful that God has given me a heart for this nation and I pray that I fulfill the mission that he has brought me to Kenya for.

Asante sana, Yesu!

No comments: