Friday, July 14, 2006

On sewing, ballet moves, and a soulpatch

Last night I offered to help one of the mothers sew (embroid) names on the inside of uniforms. I decided I’d take it in with the girls to enjoy their company while sewing. Now, I went through Home Economics and used to make my own sewing projects growing up but I’ve NEVER claimed to be all that good!

The first name I sewed was a bit crooked and couldn’t compare to the ones I’d seen so I asked one of the older girls to show me how they do it. She began this fancy stitch and it looked great. “Ok, I thought, I can do what she just did.” Now keep in mind that while I’m trying to perfect this new stitch I have 2 girls climbing on me, playing with my hair and arms, and pulling the sweater to the angle where they can best see. (Because, of course, the observer has priority over the actual sewer!)

The night continued with me attempting to improve amidst children getting out homework and bombarding me with questions. And all the while I’m thinking I’m so thankful for the playful spirit and laughter in this particular girl’s hut; it’s a hut of sincere joy that infects me whenever I spend time there.

A little while later Jared, another intern, entered to say hello. The girls don’t see too much of him and they immediately were overflowing with questions. Picture a 22-year-old guy trying to explain a “soulpatch” (patch of hair below your lip) to 12 girls under the age of 11 that don’t speak English all that well. I couldn’t help but laugh!

The night ended with me girding up my skirt to show them some ballet steps. I forget how completely foreign it is for them to imagine much less see dance. For us, little girls have images in their heads from when they’re very small, but for these girls, dance equals the motions you do while singing worship songs.

How odd to think that the place I call home (New York City) and the art form I pour most of my time into is a reality that these Kenyans cannot begin to fathom.

I wonder what the world holds that I cannot begin to imagine . . .

~Christy Thomas, Intern

No comments: